Therapy for Teen Girls and Young Women
Are you a young woman struggling with overwhelming feelings of sadness, worry, or numbness?
Have you been hurt by others?
- Do you feel alone, or that it is difficult to find trusting, safe relationships?
- Do you feel overwhelmed by the often crazy-making messages you receive from peers, your family and the media?
- Do you struggle to explain how you feel?
- Do you feel misunderstood by, or confused by your emotional response to, your friends, family and others?
- Do you sometimes think about, or have you ever, hurt yourself in an attempt to relieve this pain?
“In therapy with me, we will create a safe space for you to reconnect with your deep knowing, to name and grieve your past hurts, and to be more free to live your life from a place of trust, wholeness, and self-compassion.”
“To go in the dark with a light is to know the light. To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight, and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings, and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.”
— WENDELL BERRY
Therapy for Men
Do you struggle to express or name your feelings?
Are you finding it hard to make meaning or sense of your life or relationships?
- Do you feel overwhelmed or shut down when your partner expresses her/his/their feelings and needs?
- Is something amiss which you can't quite put your finger on?
- Are you preoccupied with confusing events from childhood?
- Maybe you've tried to comfort yourself through the use of substances or other addictive or self-harming behaviors?
Rather than trying to simply stop this discomfort, we will be curious together about what these parts might need, might be trying to voice, and will work to find healthier, more sustainable ways for you to get your needs met. Through deep listening and self-understanding, we can uncover that which you hope to realize, as well as the roadblocks which stand in your way.
This type of collaborative exploration allows us to understand and root out your difficulties at a very deep level, leading to real and lasting change.
If you’re interested in speaking with me about beginning psychotherapy, please call me for a phone consultation: (510)269-7029.
Couples Counseling and Psychotherapy
In addition to offering connection and solace, relationships sometimes generate pain and suffering. This paradox can be tough to navigate!
I work with couples to increase their awareness and understanding of the often unconscious ways they hurt themselves and their partner, and prevent themselves from getting what they deeply desire. I create a safe environment in which both partners can express their feelings and be heard, and assist couples to speak from the heart. I bring an openness and a lack of agenda to my work with couples, which creates space for the relationship to unfold as it needs to.
If you’d like to set up an appointment or speak with me directly about your relationship, please call me for a phone consultation (510)269-7029.
"One of the reasons that couples have trouble, is that painful relational styles and patterns, learned at a young age, often resurface in significant adult relationships."
I welcome couples of all
sexual and gender orientations.
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -- MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
Advocates, activists and educators
I help advocates, activists and educators who want to talk with a therapist who can hold their personal story within the context of our current social and political climate. I understand that, while therapy is a deeply personal process, some things are related to larger, external systems and pressures.